Thursday 7 July 2011

The Question That Matters

So here I am at the end of another day. The old beige couch groans and creaks as I tuck my legs underneath me and shift the laptop. I bite my lip as I sort through the thoughts milling about my mind.

What did I actually accomplish today? A few things. Vacuuming, for one. Almost two hours of it. I discovered a while ago that singing really boosts the level of fun present in vacuuming. Maybe that's why my throat feels more related to a piece of sandpaper than my esophagus.

Writing. Okay, so it was more like chasing hundreds of slippery bars of soap around a shower (the bars of soap being words). But I managed to snag them all and arrange them in a Word document, which has since been whisked through cyberspace to the inbox of my boss. By the way, writing isn't always such a circus. But when you've got other things on your mind… Let's just say it makes focusing on the behavior of reptiles next to impossible.

I didn't get to everything on my mental To-Do List. And some things I hoped for didn't materialize. But by most standards it's been a profitable day.

As I approach it's close, I'm contemplating what matters. Is it really obliterating my To-Do List? Is it really having everything go my way and getting just what I want out of the day?

There are even bigger questions. Did I do my best? Did I persevere? Was I kind and unselfish? Did I put others first?

Thinking about it, though, one question seems to outshine them all. It's the umbrella that covers every other question. The answer to this question really counts. It makes each day a good day. Whether or not it was perfect. Whether or not each item got ticked off my To-Do List.

Did I walk with God today?

No comments:

Post a Comment