Monday 6 June 2011

Connecting

"Melissa!"

"Huh?" Wrenching my nose out of my latest book, I looked up at Kyle with what must have been a very blank expression. He rolled his eyes and selected another rusk to drown in his tea.

I hadn't heard a word he'd said.

I grin as I remember that moment. It's laughable how I (and other bookworms I know) can become so oblivious to everything but ink on a page. But, amusing as it may be, it reminds me of something I don't want to be--detached.

A big lesson I've learned over the past several months is the value of people, and the importance of truly connecting with others. And when I say "connecting," I don't mean sitting around a TV, or chatting about the weather.

I mean things like sharing thoughts and concerns. Working through conflicts. Genuine interest in each other. Praying together. Laughing together. Playing together.

A meaningful relationship requires work: Looking outside of yourself, and taking the time to do the things that will bless the other person; laying down your interests and needs to meet theirs. It takes courage to do that--courage, whole-heartedness, and divine enabling. But I think it's what Jesus meant when He commanded us to love others like He loves us.

Let me tell you, though, the rewards are amazing! I can't tell you how many times my heart has ached with joy as my family has joined hands to pray, collapsed together with laughter, or raced around the living room in a riotous game of blind man's bluff.

Next to Jesus, these people--my family and friends--are my most precious treasures. They mean more to me than a good book ever could. And I'm so thankful for all God's proddings to reorganize my priorities, and put them first!

No comments:

Post a Comment