Wednesday 22 June 2011

Of Walks and Hand Washing

Since Tuesday decided I didn't have time for blogging, I'm going to have to tack it onto Wednesday. And just for fun, I'll give you Wednesday first.

The whole world seemed to glow today! The wind took a vacation, the sun beamed extra-generously, and temperatures soared to t-shirt wearing levels. Predictions of ominous weather have been rumbling from the weather forecast, so I snatched this opportunity to get some hand washing done.


Most of our water comes from a borehole, and it's very brackish. White or delicate clothes go brown and yucky if you wash them in the machine. So we have to hand wash a lot of things in rain water (which collects in the big green tank you can sort of see out the window). Once filtered, that's also our drinking water.

And this is the view I look out on while I'm standing there scrubbing. See the little white island way out there in the ocean? That's what gave this farm its name--Island View!



And now for yesterday. Ashlie, Kyle, and I went for a walk, taking pictures along the way for a project Ashlie's doing. She kindly let me have some of them. My almost-daily afternoon walk with Ash has got to be one of my favorite parts of each day. We tramp down the "Forest Road" (so named because of the thick bush), up the hill next to the game fence, and then sit talking for a while by the grid at the top. Sometimes we even watch the sunset from up there. The view is just awesome!

Anyway, here's a few pictures. See the tall fence on the left? That's the border between Island View and the game farm next door. We often see zebra, wildebeest, and all sorts of other neat animals on our walks.



So we got a little side-tracked. The doggie's name is Toffe. And just so you know, he's the sweetest, cutest little dog that ever wagged a tail!



And here's our spot at the top of the hill. It's probably my favorite spot on the whole farm!



Sorry we didn't think to take a picture of the view. You feel like you can see forever from up there!

Phew, well there it is, two days in one. And I'm off to enjoy another dark, siren-less, traffic noise-less night. Ahh, you just can't beat life in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment