Wednesday 14 November 2012

Day 6: I Will Change Your Name


I will change your name.
You shall no longer be called
Wounded, Outcast, Lonely, or Afraid.

I will change your name.
Your new name shall be
Confidence, Joyfulness, Overcoming one,
Faithfulness, Friend of God, One who seeks my face.

This is one of the simplest songs I have ever heard. And yet at the same time it is so full of awe-inspiring truth that it still amazes me every time I listen to it.

I discovered it a few months ago, and as the words sank into my heart I was struck with their depth. But as I listen to them again and look back on the past months, they almost take my breath away. Because God has been doing just that for me.

Wounded. Outcast. Lonely. Scared. That is who I've been for years. And I didn't even know it. Sure, I knew I'd been through some tough times that not everyone is called to go through. But I had no idea how deep the pain ran until  God began revealing to me just how much it had been affecting my everyday reactions to life. Scared to commit. Scared of losing relationships. Sad more often than happy. It puzzled me. I thought of the people out there who have been hurt far worse than I have. Why couldn't I just "move on"?

I've been realizing that everyone carries a burden of pain in their heart. For some the load is heavier than others. But none of us can walk this sin-damaged planet without being scarred. Satan hisses through the hurt, "You're just a damaged person. What makes you think you can do what's right? How dare you help others when you know what it's like to fall? You don't deserve happiness. You're worthless."

I don't know about you, but I've been believing those lies for far too long. But praise God, my Jesus has taken my face into His hands, looked into my eyes, and said, "I will change your name." As I've surrendered my pain and confusion to Him, He has been bringing a confidence and joy to my life I didn't know I could have.

Yes, I still have difficult days. Sometimes I cry. My heart hasn't forgotten how to ache. But it's becoming the exception rather than the norm. And I can't get enough of it! I don't ever want Jesus to stop what He is doing in me. I want to experience to the full what it means to be free in Him. I want to embrace His new name.

D. J. Butler, whoever you are, thank you for so poignantly expressing what Jesus wants to do for every weary soul. I am grateful.



P.S. Life got a little crazy for a few days, hence the lack of posts. I hope to stay more on track from now on. :)

1 comment:

  1. I never heard this song before. Thank you so much for sharing! I was blessed!

    ReplyDelete